- Pasta types
This is a great recipe for a first timer. The ingredients are cheap and, it doesn't take that long to make. Give it a go and let me know about any tweaks you can come up with.
Hampshire, England, UK
14 people made this
- 500g fusilli pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml semi skimmed milk
- 140g thick sliced ham, chopped
- 140g mature grated cheese
- pepper, to taste
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:35min ›Ready in:55min
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet, until al dente. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6.
- Put 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan and melt over a medium heat. Once melted, add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown, then remove from the pan and set to one side.
- Wipe the pan and melt the remaining butter. Add in 3/4 of the chopped spring onion and cook on a low heat until soft. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for one minute. Slowly pour in the milk and stir with a whisk or a fork until it creates a thick white sauce. Mix in the ham, mushrooms and 3/4 of the mature cheese. Mix and stir on the heat for a couple minutes.
- Mix the pasta with the sauce until well coated. Spoon into a medium casserole dish, making sure it is spread evenly. Top with the remaining cheese, spring onion and a sprinkle of pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for ten minutes, until the top is crispy and golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve on its own or with garlic bread.